Family violence safety plan

Getting legal help for family violence

If you need immediate protection from family violence, call Victoria Police on 000. The police have power to issue a Family Violence Safety Notice in an emergency and outside of court hours.

If there is no immediate risk or the police cannot assist, you can initiate an application yourself by applying online at the Magistrates Court.

If you are unable to apply online, contact your nearest Magistrates Court for assistance and obtain the necessary documents to print and complete.

You may also wish to obtain legal advice about applying for an intervention order yourself, and a lawyer can help you to apply for the Intervention Order at your local Magistrates Court, if the police are not already involved.

Once the Court receives your application, a family violence Registrar will call you to explain the next steps and make an appointment for you to attend the Court. Once the Court issues an interim intervention order, it will be served by the Police on the alleged perpetrator. The order is not valid until it has been served. The Court will advise you of a First Hearing date when both you and the alleged perpetrator must attend Court.

Once the alleged perpetrator is served with the interim intervention order, they cannot do anything that is prohibited on the order. This is the case even if they have not yet been to Court. If the perpetrator continues to commit family violence or do anything that is not allowed on the order, these matters should be reported to the police. You can do this by either calling your police contact, or attending your local police station and making a statement. A breach of an intervention order can lead to a person being charged with a criminal offence and have serious consequences.

This information was provided by Gordon Legal

Call Gordon Legal on 1800 21 22 23 8.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Or email and they will be in touch within 24 hours.